- Let meat sit out an hour before cooking
- Heat up cast iron until hot throughout
- Generously season steaks with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- Lightly oil with high smoke point oil such as peanut, sunflower, or lard
- Add steak to pan, make sure not to crowd.
- If steak seems stuck to pan, do not touch it. It is developing a crust of flavor and moving it will rip that crust off.
- Once steak comes loose (5 min or so), flip and repeat same crusting process.
- Remove steak from heat and let rest. It will reabsorb some of its liquids and remain moist.
- Cut and plate